We, the students of public universities and colleges of Arizona, to promote democratic
representation and engage in civic discourse, establish these Bylaws for the Arizona Students’
Association. In order to improve the standard of and ensure equal access to higher education, we
will fiercely promote student interests in national and state governments. We will respect
students of any multitude of communities or identities. We will achieve this through an ethical
and civil discourse of public community college, undergraduate, and graduate students
campaigning for the democratic and pragmatic will of all students.
The members of the Arizona Students’ Association, as a non-partisan organization, work cohesively toward creating a just society in which generations of student leaders understand their power, engage and empower diverse communities, and advocate for student issues. We exist to better our education system in Arizona and will continually work to make the State of Arizona a societal role model in the educational realm. Our efforts transcend borders and will educate students worldwide to have a conscious, aware, and engaged mindset. We believe that students globally - and from all walks of life and varying identities - have a right to an education that “shall be as nearly free as possible” (Arizona Constitution, Article XI, Section VI).
The student-led, non-partisan Arizona Students’ Association works to actively empower the student voice, create concrete change, and advocate for student issues by developing student leaders; initiating and executing grassroots campaigns; raising awareness; creating a firm foundation on our stances through proper research; and engaging our government officials at a local, state, and national level.
The Arizona Students’ Association affirms that, notwithstanding any other commitment to individual ties such as university, community, party, state, or nation, we will faithfully follow our guiding principles to the best of the organization’s ability:
- We believe in working alongside students, community leaders, elected officials, and other allies from all positions on the political spectrum to advance the goals of the Arizona Students’ Association, and
- We believe in coalescing with corporations, non-profits, advocacy groups, student governments, and other like-minded organizations who engage in activities that align with the mission of the Arizona Students’ Association, and
- We believe in holding our government leaders accountable for transgressions against students and working to bring justice to those affected communities, and
- We believe in civil discourse and productive dialogue to advance our goals, as determined by the leadership, and
- Finally, we believe that all people have a right to an education regardless of background, culture, beliefs, or identity.