December 2018- May 2019
Job Description: Government Affairs Director
The Government Affairs Director shall be the Association’s daily face at the state legislature, advocating on behalf of students in the Association as directed by the Board of Directors and overseen by the Executive Director.
- Maintain lobbying records for ASA, Inc. to ensure that ASA is in compliance with all pertinent local, state, and federal requirements
- Monitors & researches legislative / public policy items and various levels of government to assist board of directors with advocacy on behalf of university students
- Confers with legislators and key officials to emphasis weaknesses and merits of legislation to pass, defeat, or amend
- Builds relationships with elected officials and their staff
- Builds relationships with individuals and groups with similar interests
- Creates documents related to legislation including; bill summaries, position papers, and pamphlets
- Maintains and prepares detailed summaries of meetings attended while on ASA business. This includes committee meetings, meetings with officials, and meetings with organizations
- Trains students on lobbying
- Help Prepare Lobbycon (ASA’s annual lobby day at the capitol)
- Maintains accurate financial records regarding Lobbying
- Other duties related to government affairs will be assigned by the Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in political science
- Experience with working with elected officials and tracking legislation
- Excellent communication skills; verbal and written
- Knowledgeable about Arizona’s public university system and Arizona politics
Salary range is between 36,000 - $42,000/year, depending on experience
The Government Affairs position is from January to May of 2019.
How to Apply
- Resume & References
- Cover Letter
- Email Cesar@azstudents.org
Once you submit your information to Cesar Aguilar the Executive Director of ASA he will pass on your information to ASA’s Hiring Committee which will review your application and will set up a time and date that fits your schedule for an interview. If you have any other questions, feel free to email Cesar Aguilar.
The Arizona Students ‘Association does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
The Arizona Students ‘Association is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.