The Arizona Students' Association (ASA) is a non-partisan, student-led 501(c)4 nonprofit organization, existing to represent the interests of all community college and public university students in the state of Arizona.
For over 40 years, ASA has been the voice of Arizona students by focusing on grassroots organizing, registering students to vote, lobbying for affordable higher education, and training and developing student leaders.
In the 1970’s, students in Arizona were working to get more of a voice on campus and more control over their education. To accomplish those objectives, the student body presidents of NAU, ASU, and UA established the Arizona Students’ Association in July of 1974. They knew they would be much more effective and powerful if they worked together, so alas a statewide lobbying association was born.
Today ASA runs under a board of directors consisting of nine directors. The nine directors are: Director of Undergraduate Affairs, Director of Graduate Affairs, Director of Community College Affairs, Director of Alumni Affairs, Director of Financial Affairs, Director of Communications, Director of Legislative Affairs, and the Executive Director.
The Arizona Students' Association is governed by its Vision, Mission Statement, and Value Statements:
The members of the Arizona Students’ Association, as a non-partisan organization, work cohesively toward creating a just society in which generations of student leaders understand their power, engage and empower diverse communities, and advocate for student issues. We exist to better our education system in Arizona and will continually work to make the State of Arizona a societal role model in the educational realm. Our efforts transcend borders and will educate students worldwide to have a conscious, aware, and engaged mindset. We believe that students globally - and from all walks of life and varying identities - have a right to an education that “shall be as nearly free as possible” (Arizona Constitution, Article XI, Section VI).
The student-led, non-partisan Arizona Students’ Association works to actively empower the student voice, create concrete change, and advocate for student issues by developing student leaders; initiating and executing grassroots campaigns; raising awareness; creating a firm foundation on our stances through proper research; and engaging our government officials at a local, state, and national level.
The Arizona Students’ Association affirms that, notwithstanding any other commitment to individual ties such as university, community, party, state, or nation, we will faithfully follow our guiding principles to the best of the organization’s ability:
- We believe in working alongside students, community leaders, elected officials, and other allies from all positions on the political spectrum to advance the goals of the Arizona Students’ Association, and
- We believe in coalescing with corporations, non-profits, advocacy groups, student governments, and other like-minded organizations who engage in activities that align with the mission of the Arizona Students’ Association, and
- We believe in holding our government leaders accountable for transgressions against students and working to bring justice to those affected communities, and
- We believe in civil discourse and productive dialogue to advance our goals, as determined by the leadership, and
- We believe that all people have a right to an education regardless of background, culture, beliefs, or identity.
Do you like this page?