OUR 3 PILLARS
ASA ensures that students are given the tools they need to be successful in running Direct Action Organizing campaigns on and off campus. Every year, ASA works to build student power through voter registration, education and GOTV. We know that students voting have the greatest effect on elected officials. In the spring, students organize campaigns to win victories in the state legislature and engage in those campaigns through tactics such as collecting student petitions and and student stories, to training students to lobby, to holding rallies and protests.
Advocacy is at the core of everything we do. ASA works to represent student issues to elected and appointed officials from Arizona to Washington D.C. ASA works directly with the Arizona Board of Regents, University Administrations, both State and Federal Legislators, City Councils, Arizona’s Governor, and the Secretary of State in order to ensure that students represented and their voices are heard.
Because students are constantly graduating and moving on, the student movement is strengthened by strong leadership development work. ASA hosts two annual conferences, the AZ Student Voting Summit every fall and the Youth Empowerment Summit every spring. To ensure that Arizona students are well trained for campaigns, we host on campus fellowships for college students and have of campus fellowships that focus on government affairs and communications. Our goal is that every student that goes through our program is well prepared to enter the job market with a strong sense of ethics and morals.
The student-led, Arizona Students’ Association works to actively empower the student voice, create concrete change, and advocate for student issues by developing student leaders; initiating and executing grassroots campaigns; raising awareness; creating a firm foundation on our stances through proper research; and engaging our government officials at a local, state, and national level.
The members of the Arizona Students’ Association work cohesively toward creating a just society in which generations of student leaders understand their power, engage and empower diverse communities, and advocate for student issues. We exist to better our education system in Arizona and will continually work to make the State of Arizona a societal role model in the educational realm. Our efforts transcend borders and will educate students worldwide to have a conscious, aware, and engaged mindset. We believe that students globally - and from all walks of life and varying identities - have a right to an education that “shall be as nearly free as possible” (Arizona Constitution, Article XI, Section VI).
The Arizona Students’ Association affirms that, notwithstanding any other commitment to individual ties such as university, community, party, state, or nation, we will faithfully follow our guiding principles to the best of the organization’s ability:
- We believe in working alongside students, community leaders, elected officials, and other allies from all positions on the political spectrum to advance the goals of the Arizona Students’ Association, and
- We believe in coalescing with corporations, non-profits, advocacy groups, student governments, and other like-minded organizations who engage in activities that align with the mission of the Arizona Students’ Association, and
- We believe in holding our government leaders accountable for transgressions against students and working to bring justice to those affected communities, and
- We believe in civil discourse and productive dialogue to advance our goals, as determined by the leadership, and
- We believe that all people have a right to an education regardless of background, culture, beliefs, or identity.